Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Morning Devotion

Beauty for Ashes

When the fire of the Holy Spirit burns within us, tended daily by prayer and the Word of God, all of the doubt, fear, and unrighteousness that troubles us will become just so much ash in the furnace of our soul. What do we do with all of that ash?

We know that at some point we need to clean the ash out of hearth in order to allow airflow to feed the flames. Shoveling ash isn’t the most endearing task of our day, but is a necessary one.

Isaiah 61:1-3 speaks to us concerning those ashes in our lives. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,……..to give them beauty for ashes, and the oil of gladness for mourning.

I have found that when I shovel out all the ashes in my life and pour them into His hands, He exchanges them for the beauty of His Spirit and covers me with His Grace.

What a great trade – all the worthlessness in our lives reduced to ash and traded for beauty. Not beauty as the world judges – not just surface beauty, but the “Beauty” of righteousness and holiness before His Throne. A beauty of the heart and soul which causes our countenance to reflect His Image.

O, God, grant that I may keep your fire burning within me
so that I may trade my ashes for the Beauty of Holiness. Let
all who encounter me see a reflection of your Love, your Grace, and your Mercy. Oh that they might see You in my life and desire your life giving fire.

Written January 22, 2006

1 comment:

Jana McVay said...

After our conversation tonight, I was doing some of that trading! It feels wonderful to have "Beauty" again!! Thank God for His mercy!!

Love you, Mom! Thanks for just being there to listen to me vent!