Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tending the Flame

Today I have decided to move forward. I’ve spent the past 57 years ‘growing’ in the Lord, but never reaching the place of ‘grown up’ in God. By the help and Grace of God, today I will begin to tend the fire of God in my life and share that fire with any who desire to know about this life giving ‘Fire’.

Fire 101

Flames
Pieces of Wood
A bit of Fire
Fueled by the Wind
Creating a flame
To keep out the cold.
(JC 1-2006)

This morning I woke up to pray and read the Word. The night had been cold and so was the house, so I built a fire before beginning my devotional time. While reading the word and giving it my thought and attention, what had begun as a bright cheery fire in the stove slowly began to die down. As I rose from my chair to begin my prayer time I noticed that logs once bright with flame had gone dark.

I opened the stove and began to tend the fire. This was to be my spiritual lesson for the morning. ‘An untended flame will die out’.

Our spiritual lives like that fire depend on fuel, ignition, and air. Our fuel is the life we submit to God; ignition is provided by contact with the Power of God and the Breath of the Holy Spirit is the air this spiritual life depends upon. If we fail to continuously submit our life (wood for our fire) to God (our source of ignition) and regularly experience the Breath of the Holy Ghost, our fire will go out. Embers will be left which may be fanned into flames, but those embers left untended will eventually become cold ashes.

If we desire to be a spiritual force in our workplace, in our neighborhood and our community we must tend our own personal ‘fire’ with poker and shovel. Poke around in our life to insure we are in contact with God and shovel out the pile of ashes left behind by the undesirable contents of our life in order to feel the sweet breath of the Holy Ghost as He creates flames that impact our world for His Glory.

1 comment:

Jana McVay said...

Oh my!! After last nights message, this post hits home!! Without prayer, devotional time, reading the word, our fires die. Prayer fans the Holy Ghost fire that lives within us when we have received the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues.

We got up this morning and one of the first things I told the kids was to find a spot and pray for a few moments. Just those few minutes fanned the flame and will help them live a victorious life today while at school!