Friday, October 5, 2012


THE BITTER CUP

That night –
We sat together sharing
The bread and the cup –
Faithful companions and followers
He said take this  bread,
Eat and remember me.
We ate and wondered
At his words.
He said take this cup
Drink and remember me.
We drank from the cup
And marveled that He
Thought we could forget.
We sat together sharing bread and cup
As He called one of us a betrayer.
We sat amazed as He washed our feet
And told us of the Servant’s heart.
Then we slept in the garden
As He prayed out His agony.
We slept as He prayed Father
Take this cup, this bitter cup.
We slept on in sweet peace,
Little realizing that we –
Each of us would become His betrayer.
They took Him away that same night
And we ‘forgot’ Him.

Who is He
Do we remember this man who spoke of cups?
Who is He
This man we betray with our silence?
He is Jesus ,
Who drank the bitter cup of our sin.
He is the Cup  of Life
Poured out for you and me.
How can we forget?
How can we be silent?

Jacque Chance 2006

A few years ago my daughter asked me to write a soliloquy for her Easter drama, you know one man, in this case a disciple, talking to the universe from the voice inside his head.  Today while browsing through some old notebooks I found what I had written for her and read it again.  I haven’t forgotten Him or the sacrificial offering He made for me, but I do realize that over the years I have taken Him, His Presence, for granted at times.

Isn’t this in itself a form of betrayal?  When I come to my senses and repent of taking Him for granted I often try to excuse myself with “Lord, I’ve just been so busy….”  He lovingly reminds me that He has the whole world and its problems on His schedule but He’s never too busy for me. 

‘Lord forgive me for my betrayal of your gift.  Remind me often that without You I am nothing and can do nothing.  Don’t let me forget the lesson of the bitter cup and servant’s heart.  I am human, just flesh and blood, nothing special and yet You loved me, died for me, drank the cup of my sin – how could I forget?”

 

 

No comments: